[Gllug] spoke too soon

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Fri Jan 31 10:15:00 UTC 2003

> On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 03:11  am, Jim Bailey wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 06:10:24PM +0000, North London John wrote:
> >> Well, I had a day of using knoppix, before somehow or other the hard
> >> drive partitions got corrupted.
> >
> > Both the linux and the windows?
>
> Yes. The linux part was unreadable, windows worked fine (rarity!) but
> registered considerably more used space (1.68g) than there should have
> been (1.2g).
>
> I have now deleted win98 altogether - but that has made no difference.
> I re-installed Knoppix - but again, after a days use, the disk has
> become corrupted, and now won't even boot up, just going into an
> eternal fsck / reboot routine.

Errr...
This sounds familiar. I've had problems like this with a newer motherboard
when the IDE drivers weren't new enough to come with the new chipset.
turning on DMA caused severe filesystem degradation, leading to an
unbootable system after a few hours to a day (depending on use)

What motherboard, and what kernel are you using?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk