[Gllug] Net outages caused by worm possibly

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Mon Jan 27 11:46:16 UTC 2003

Jason Clifford writes:

>A VPN is not going to protect you from a worm such as the MS-SQL users
>experienced over the weekend.

I beg to differ. Sure, it wouldn't protect you if the remote site was
infected, but if would protect you from the rest of the internet.
Besides, the VPN suggestion was in response to asking how to replicate
distributed databases without making the database remotely accessible
over the internet.

>If it entered a network via a VPN it is likely that it would have cross
>infected other local MS-SQL servers and caused disruption within the
>company network.

Agreed. A VPN doesn't buy you instant security. If you don't control both
ends, then you have to treat it as you do any other point of entry to your
network -- firewall and authenticate as appropriate.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk