[Gllug] ntl cable slowed down

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Jan 30 09:25:20 UTC 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Ian Northeast wrote:

> I wish you could opt out of the web proxies, they're the worst thing
> about NTL IMO. Apart from them, their technology seems to work very
> well. Of course, I don't try calling them for support, they've probably
> heard of Linux but I don't know what they'd make of my telling them I
> connect with OpenBSD:) So the one and only time I experienced their
> "support" line was the five phone calls it took to "activate" my service
> in the first place. If I bypassed the proxies it wouldn't cost NTL a lot
> in bandwidth as my web browsing causes a lot less traffic than
> downloading Linux CDs etc., which I do a fair bit. But I guess that
> isn't true of most users.

I am seriously considering setting up an authenticated proxy server for
myself on one of the servers I have for UKPOST.COM.

That way I'd completed avoid the NTL horrors and the only problems I'd
have are the rare routing hiccups.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM	 	           get your @ukpost.com address now...