[Gllug] Reading an Access97 mdb file

Mark Fowler mark at twoshortplanks.com
Tue Jan 7 10:58:28 UTC 2003

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Stan wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way that I can extract data from a table held in
> a access97 .mdb file...a perl modules would be best (can't find
> anything on CPAN) but any linuxy thing would be useful.

What platform are you running on?  You could do all kinds of funky things
from within Perl if you've got access to a running copy of Access.  There
was a Perl Journal on this called "Using DBI with Microsoft Access" which
O'Reilly have just republished as part of "Computer Science & Perl
Programming" (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/tpj1/) Though I haven't got
my copy with me at work and I haven't had a chance to read that article
yet.

> I know that I can export the data if I run access on a windows machine
> but this is a task that would need to be done daily so a nightly cron
> seems best to me!

You could script this exporting with Perl, getting it to start Access and
controling it remotely.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -T
use strict;