[Gllug] Secure mail access with Apache and MySQL running?

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Jan 9 13:00:22 UTC 2003

> Message: 2
> Subject: Re: [Gllug] Secure mail access with Apache and MySQL running?
> From: "Martin A. Brooks" <martin at clues.ltd.uk>
> To: gllug at linux.co.uk
> Date: 09 Jan 2003 08:58:31 +0000
>
> On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 23:02, Garry Heaton wrote:
>
>>I run Apache and MySQL for web development/testing on a Mandrake 8.2 box
>> and would like to be able to keep Mozilla Mail running without
>>compromising security. Currently I stop Apache and MySQL to check for
>>e-mail then restart but I'd really like to have the mail client running
>>in the background. Is this possible?
>

> I'm confused.  I don't see why running MySQL/Apache or not should make
> the blindest bit of difference to how secure, or not, your mail system
> is.
>
> Regards

This isn't a server. Just a home web development box. No mail "system".
I've read that generally it's a good idea to run as few services as
possible when connected to the internet so, without going into the
details of securing a server, I generally close-down Apache and MySQL
before connecting to the internet. However, I'd prefer to be able to
remain connected while running Apache and MySQL, ie. only run the
services locally on 192.168.1.2

I don't have a firewall/router. Only dial-up.

Garry

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk