[Gllug] odd hardware

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Fri Jan 17 11:19:38 UTC 2003

Steve Cobrin wrote:
> On Thursday 16 Jan 2003 11:49, Sean Burlington wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>	I used to be a homechoice subscriber untill they brought out a new
>>windows only set top box - but when I cancelled my subscription I got
>>to keep the old set top box
>

> I took the upgrade, and can run happily at 1Mbps uder Windows, but
> currently  only 115K under Linux, but at least it works! There are
> people who have been successfully driving Linux and FreeBSD at around
> 400K. The homechoice.linux newsgroup has details

hmm.. I had assumed that the new USB device would only have windows
drivers ...

I'd look at the newsgroup - but isn't that only availble to homechoice
subscribers ?

anyway - I was pretty unhappy with the service

The TV / Film bit had such a poor selection that I stopped looking , the
internet restrictions were getting annoying, and I had had a two month
outage !

>>this is a box with ethernet, serial port, infra red remote, scart and
>>tv out ...
>>
>>it used to take a feed over ethernet and displays full screen video
>>as well as providing a ppp connection to the internet...
>>
>>opening it up reveals 16 Meg RAM a PowerPC processor (and a bunch of
>>chips I don't recognise)
>>
>>I've tried just connecting to my LAN hoping it would request an IP
>>address via dhcp - but no joy.
>>
>>I realise this is probably a waste of time but - does anyone know how
>>I could go about connecting to this thing - it seems vaguelly
>>possible that it could be made to run Linux ...?
>

> Wow! they should also have left behind the alacatel ADSL modem which is
> usable with other providers. Not sure what you could really acheive
> with the old homechoice box, though

it wasn't an alcatel modem, and it had been hard wired in - in a very
annoying place - I had it removed.

it seems like I have to junk the set to box - if it had ethernet
connection I was hoping to use my Linux DVD player to tream video to the TV

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk