[Gllug] RH 8.0 Mailer Configuration Help

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Fri Jan 17 13:02:38 UTC 2003

Mick Farmer wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've just installed RH 8.0 on a machine and now cannot send
>mail from it.  I get the following error.
>
>mick... Connecting to localhost.dcs.bbk.ac.uk. via relay...
>mick... Deferred: Connection refused by localhost.dcs.bbk.ac.uk.
>
>Can anyone help with the configuration.
>
>Regards,
>
>Mick

Try conecting to it via its IP address first.  The host name may not be
in your DNS; therefore it cannot be found or connected to.

To get its IP address if it is on DHCP type ipconfig as root and you
will be provided with its inet addresses.

If you are using sendmail the default behaviour under RH is to listen
only to the local machine - it will only send mail from itself.  To
alter this edit the /etc/sendmail.cf file and change the entry 127.0.0.1
to 0.0.0.0

Kind regards
Xander

--
Documentation:
	Instructions translated from Swedish by Japanese for English

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk