[Gllug] Gnome Terminal Behavior

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Wed Jan 29 17:54:11 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 05:20:27PM +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 17:08, Mick Farmer wrote:
> > Dear GLLUGers,
> > In RH 8.0, when using Gnome Terminal, putting the cursor
> > over a URL, clicking the right button, and selecting "Open
> > Link", the link opens in a second (mozilla) browser window.
> >
> > In RH 7.3 it used to open in the current browser window.
> > Does anyone know how to get that behavior?
>
> Dunno, but I just had a quick look.
> Apologies if I'm talking twaddle, and there is an easy
> Preferences/Control Centre setting for this.

If it's GNOME2.0, then there's a Desktop Preferences -> Advanced ->
Preferred Applications thing that can set your browser.  Or you can set it
through the gconf editor.

> The guilty party may be the utility /usr/bin/htmlview
> which is used to (guess what!) fire up the viewer for HTML pages:
>
> # - --remote and --local are deprecated, we don't
> #   have any non-browser HTML viewers these days.

This sounds like the problem then.  mozilla still supports "-remote" (not
"--remote") and in galeon "-x".  If you do "mozilla --help" it will give you
a url at which you can read up on this.

Pete
--
Pete Ryland