[Gllug] Recommendations for network card and adsl modem (or router)

Peter John Cameron peterca at ukgateway.net
Fri Jan 17 21:46:43 UTC 2003

After nearly three weeks of trying, I've given up with the alcatel
speedtouch modem. Short of throwing it out the window, I can't do anything
with it other than initialise it. I tried PPPoA and got nothing beyond LCP
timeouts. I tried PPPoE (with a downloaded br2684ctl) and though I get
"ifconfig nas0" returning an ethernet address etc., the "pppd nas0 &" call
complains about nas0 being unknown. Ho hum. I give up.

I'd like some recommendations for a decent external ADSL modem (or router)
plus network card. I only have a standalone PC at home. There are plans for
a network but that probably won't happen this year.

I'm in Surrey so I'd also be interested in knowing where I could walk in and
buy the equipment (I try to avoid PC World if at all possible).

cheers,
Peter

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk