[Gllug] BETT at Olympia

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Jan 3 12:34:04 UTC 2003

On 3 Jan 2003, John Hearns wrote:

> Cue for me to trot out my tired old ideas for GLLUG demonstration kit.
> Cue for flurry of emails with interest and good ideas.
> To perish on the rock of hard facts - kit costs $$$ and transport ain't
> easy (*)

Kit isn't such a great problem. I'm sure if we wanted to we could easily
put together half a dozen fairly good systems.

Transport is more of a challenge but again it can be overcome.

The real problem would seem to be twofold:

1. that one week is insufficient time to organise this properly;
2. I'm not sure we actually have enough that is specifically BETT
appropriate for such a show.

By the second point I mean that to really make doing this worthwhile we'd
have to be able to show a range of Free Software solutions for the
education sector including school management apps and educational
software as well as the usual intranet, programming, etc tools.

While I have seen listings of educational software on Freshmeat et al it
usually seems rather resitricted and often incomplete.

If we were to put together a presentation for such a show I'm sure we'd
want to be effective and that means competing against those who are
practiced at presenting an attractive appearance even if they are selling
something that doesn't really exist.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk