[Gllug] Mail formats

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Sat Jan 25 18:07:54 UTC 2003

>> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 17:56:09, Pete Ryland <pdr at pdr.cx> said:

   > On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 02:42:15PM +0000, Andrew Black wrote:
   >> I have some mail sitting on a RiscPC that I would like to import
   >> onto a Linux (Mandrake 9) machine.  In the first instance I am
   >> proposing to read using Evolution, but would like the possibility
   >> of using other clients in the future (eg a non graphic mail
   >> program so I can use via ssh/telnet.

Evolution stores mail in mbox format (which isn't a well-defined format,
but we seem to manage to get by) in the ~/evolution/local/<folder>/mbox
file.  You can ssh in and read mail through mutt with the -f switch.

   >> THis seems to give the option of "Standard Unix mbox spools" and
   >> "Maildir format mail directories".  WHich of these is preferable.

I use maildir, but both are functional.  A reason for using maildir is
that it puts each of the messages in a folder (and the headers for each
message) in separate files, which help with locking issues and speed,
especially for large mail folders.

   > I've been told that Maildir is very good, but never bothered
   > looking into it ("if it ain't broke..").  mbox is older and
   > simpler and just about everything understands it (including grep
   > and less and mutt -f :).  If it's already in mbox format, I don't
   > see any reason to convert it to anything else.

Maildir also works with mutt -f, also works with procmail (in new
versions, just placing an '/' on the end of the target file will get it
to create and use a maildir folder), and also works with grep; just add
a '-r' in there.

   >> If I export folders in mbox format, where in my home directory
   >> should i place the mail?

Not important.  I use ~/maildir/, but you could use ~/.mail/ or
~/.maildir/ if you'd rather somewhere that doesn't get in your way when
you're ls'ing or tab-completing your homedir.  :)

Hope this helps,

- Chris.
--
$a="printf.net";  Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a