[Gllug] Sun SparcStations

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Fri Jan 10 17:54:08 UTC 2003

> Hi all,
>
> I have the opportunity to 'come into' 2 or three SparcStation 4 or 5's (I
> think that's what they're called...)
>
> Now, I notice the monitor socket is significantly different from the PC
> 'standard' type: are they compatible, given a converting cable, or is using a
> PC monitor a non-starter? Likewise for the keyboard.

They can be. I have a sun. with a nice 17" monitor with such a connection.
One day before Xmas, my PC monitor stopped working so I redirected X to the
sun box. Had a look around on the web for a convertor cable, and it turned
out Sun (13W3) >> VGA monitor = yes. VGA >> 13W3 depends on the monitor.

(With the proviso that SOME monitors required the use of a fixed frequency
graphics card in the PC, alas, mine was such a monitor)

All you need is a 13W3 to VGA convertor (making sure you get it for the
correct way around of course. From 13W3 to VGA monitor).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk