[Gllug] RH 8.0 Sendmail Configuration

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Jan 22 15:21:00 UTC 2003

Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear Alain,
>
> When I try telnet localhost.dcs.bbk.ac.uk smtp I get an error
> indicating unknown host, which I would expect.
If you are trying to sendmail to this host using that hostname then
because the name is not in the organisation's nameservers it will not
resolve and the mail clients will fail.  YIf you want to send mail to a
hostname that is not in the dns  then you need to speak to the
organisations hostmaster and get them to enter it.  If you want to
bypass this just work using IP addresses.

so telnet ipaddressofserver 25

> When I try telnet mailer.dcs.bbk.ac.uk smtp I connect OK.
>
> It appears that I need to tell sendmail/postfix the location
> of my mail hub.  But how?  I've tried most of the configuration
> files without success.
If you just want the mail forwarded the DS option in my last email
should work.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk