[Gllug] Any BSD users on here?

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 24 01:03:33 UTC 2003

Steve Nicholson wrote:

> are there any BSD users on the list that may be able to help me?

I don't use FreeBSD much; I use OpenBSD for the firewall and NetBSD for
quick&dirty hardware tests (and the odd recovery), but Free doesn't seem
to offer a lot that Linux doesn't apart from die-hard license issues and
consistency, which doesn't matter much to me personally - at home I play
it by ear, at work we mandate one particular Linux distro (SuSE
Enterprise Server) to avoid the problem. Software availability and
support for Linux is much better than for FreeBSD. However, I still have
FBSD 4.3 on a P200 because I havn't found another use for it (the P200
that is). I may even upgrade it some day:)

> No listing of libraries in the /usr/local/lib where I know libjpeg.so
> and friends are.  According to the man page  "ldconfig -r  Lists the
> current contents of the hints file on the standard out-put."  I get
> nothing from this as well which suggests to me that the dynamic linker
> isn't working.

> Version is 4.6 of FreeBSD and I'm actually running in a jail
> environment.

I get 262 lines of output from ldconfig -r. Unless something changed
drastically between 4.3 and 4.6, which I doubt, I suspect it's this jail
thing, which I am not familiar with, which is causing the problem.

I suggest you try the comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc NG, which is fairly
high traffic with a lot of knowledgeable subscribers. If they don't know
no-one does.

This is where the consistency thing pays. FreeBSD is FreeBSD, and the
guys who know it know it (this set does not include me:). With Linux, I
can know Red Hat, SuSE and Debian and still get somewhat lost with
Slackware, Caldera and Mandrake. The principles are the same but the
details differ. There is only one FreeBSD.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk