[Gllug] new debian installation - sound setup ?

Magnus Nilsson magnusn at advfn.com
Tue Jan 28 17:16:55 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 15:52, Sean Burlington wrote:
> Hi All,
> 	I've just installed debian for the first time after using redhat for
> the last several years ...
>
> I'm suprised at how much work is required to set things up !
>
> I'd appreciate any hints on getting sound working
>
> I'm running
>
> Debian GNU testing/unstable
>
>    Bus  0, device 14, function  0:
>      Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 7).
>        IRQ 10.
>        Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=2.Max Lat=20.
>        I/O at 0x10a0 [0x10bf].
>    Bus  0, device  14, function  1:
>      Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! (rev 7).
>        Master Capable.  Latency=64.
>        I/O at 0x10d0 [0x10d7].

> root:sound$ insmod sb

Hi Sean,

the module for the Live is "emu10k1".
Also, you should be using 'modprobe', since that handles module
dependencies (insmod doesn't)

'modprobe emu10k1'

should get you going.
Also Debian doesn't allow users to access the sound device by default,
so if your username is "sean" you need to do

'adduser sean audio'

to add your user to the audio group.

--
Thanks,

Magnus Nilsson                  Office: +44 2070 700941
Systems Administrator           Mobile: +44 7973 796019
ADVFN.com Plc                   Fax:    +44 2070 700959

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk