[Gllug] Net-booting one of those small form factor boards (as seen at last meeting)

John Winters john at linuxemporium.co.uk
Fri Jan 24 14:13:37 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I missed the demonstration of the titchy motherboard net-booting at the
last GLLUG meeting (coz I was chatting in the lecture theatre) but I'm
very interested in the possibilities for this.  I've bought myself one
of the boards and am trying to net-boot it.  (256M RAM.  No drives.)

I can get as far as it knowing what file it needs to fetch and it asks
the tftp server for it, then the PC stops with "TFTP  Too many
packages".

Anyone got any guidance on how to set up one of these things
net-booting?

Subsidiary question.  Is there any way to upgrade the BIOS to the
current version without any drives and without MS-DOS (of which I don't
have a copy)?  The boards seem to ship with a rather out-of-date BIOS
and apparently it won't recognise all the RAM until it's upgraded.

John

--
The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

We had a woodhenge here once but it rotted.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk