[Gllug] Recommendations for network card and adsl modem (or router)

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Sat Jan 18 09:07:14 UTC 2003

On Fri 17 Jan Simon A. Boggis wrote:
> How given up are you? I'm using a speedtouch, as are two of my
> colleagues. All three of us have had good experiences with it.
>
> One crucial thing for painlessness, AFAIK is to use the userland
> speedtouch drivers http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/.

I can second (fourth?) that.  Worked first time on Debian woody, and has
been flawless since.  IMHO these green froggy things have an
unneccesarily bad rep (except, obviously, for the foolishness of closed
source drivers).

One thing to consider is that, whatever you get, you want to run it in
bridging mode so that the device itself isn't reachable from anywhere.
I wouldn't trust any of those el-cheapo routers (in fact I wouldn't
trust *any* router) to be secure.

doug.

--
<fourstar> sigmata - being scarred from a particularly poor .sig