[Gllug] Video capture cards

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Mon Jan 6 17:13:47 UTC 2003

Dylan wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm trying to find out about video capture cards, mainly for copying my old
>VHS collection on to DVD. Googling around provides loads of baffling
>information so...
>
>I'm running SuSE8.1 on a P4, with a GeForce4 MX 420.
>
>Does anyone have recommendations as to capture card?
>Does it need to be compatible with the GeForce?
>Are there any accessible web resources that anyone knows of?
>
>Cheers all
>
>Dylan

I posted on this a while ago and did not respond as I could not get any
of the obvious methods working.

I have a matrox mystique which is / was a great card; however I could
not get it recognised as a v4l device which the majority of capture
software seems to use.

I also bought a hauppage nicam stereo TV card.

It works well with xawtv except that xawtv refuses to record.

zapping.sf.net works well and took me a while to get it to record;
however it does now.

I also managed to get the mjpeg tools to record from the TV card;
however I have various problems with them; the most annoying is that the
stop randomly during recording...

I have just transferred a full 90 minutes from video to mpeg using
zapping.  I am then using mplayer (mencoder) to convert this to avi.

I realise that it would be preferable to do it in one step; however I
have two difficulties. lavrec stops recording randomly and my desktop
(athlon 600) is not fast enough to encode at the video streaming rate of
my video player :-)

I now happily continue to rescue my deteriorating VHS collection;
exciting things like Band Aid and Top of the Pops from the 70's with
Pan's people.....

Kind regards
Xander

--
Just because you like my stuff doesn't mean I owe you anything.
		-- Bob Dylan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk