[Gllug] Rebooting Server

Magnus Nilsson magnusn at advfn.com
Wed Jan 15 15:59:57 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 11:56, Mark Fowler wrote:

> Okay, a better question.  How should I be monitoring (logging) what's
> going on the machine.  For example, if I want a record of the load on the
> machine what's the best way about going about this?  I could easily write

For collecting data over time I can recommend Cacti, which is a package
built around rrdtool and SNMP. It does some very nice graphs, and is
controlled with a PHP/MySQL based web system.

We're using it to monitor just about everything on our 50+ servers, with
good results. I can also recommend Nagios for system alerts. I've
written a few Perl scripts for monitoring load, disk space and such over
SNMP. Mail me off-list if you are interested in them.

> It's running debian, so stuff I can apt-get is always good...

It apt-get's just fine.

--
Thanks,

Magnus Nilsson                  Office: +44 2070 700941
Systems Administrator           Mobile: +44 7973 796019
ADVFN.com Plc                   Fax:    +44 2070 700959

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk