[Gllug] odd hardware

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Thu Jan 16 14:44:12 UTC 2003

John Hearns wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 12:40, Sean Burlington wrote:
>
>>Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
>>
>>>On Thu 16 Jan, Sean Burlington bloviated thus:

>>>That isn't ethernet.  It's ATM.
>>
>>Ok - what's ATM ?
>

> ATM = Asynchronous Transfer Mode.
>
> ATM is a networking technology.
> Ironically enough, it was first engineered for the purpose of delivering
> video to the home via telephone lines.
> The major telecomms and datacomms companies developed it further, and a
> few years ago it was supposed to be the telecomms technology which would
> cover everything - IP data transfer, telephony, video transfer.
>
> You might suss out that I'm a bit of a fan of ATM :-)

that - and the fact that I don't know what ethernet is either ;)

to me ethernet is just cards cables and hubs - put it together (throw in
a few computers) and I have a network ...

it sounds like I would need some ATM network equipment to be able to use
this device ...

does anyone fancy adding this gizmo to thier junk collection ?

or is it yet more landfill ?

homechoice seem to be upgrading all customers so there must be (tens
of?) thousands of these boxes getting scrapped

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk