[Gllug] Switches

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Tue Jan 7 19:32:35 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 07:12:48PM +0000, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Ian Norton wrote:
> > you all seem to have forgotten that it is terribly cool to telnet to
> > your switch :-)
> >
> > the 3com superstack IIs have a web interface too.
>
> Both methods expose your admin passwords to sniffers.
>
> Some switches support ssh and/or https.
>
> In any case this is incidental to the devices operation.

And I'm not sure why you would want any of these "features"[1] for a switch
anyway.  It's a *switch*, not a router.  For an 80-node internal network of
desktops!  Not a high-capacity production network or something.  The less
you have to maintain the better, IMO.  You will likely not want VLANs or
anything, just simple plain old layer 2 packet switching, so if you don't
need it, it's just going to waste your time.

My 2p.

Pete

[1] I dare not say "gimicks".
--