[Gllug] Installation Information

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Tue Jan 28 18:08:47 UTC 2003

> On Tuesday 28 January 2003 11:34 am, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
>

> > Ahhhh, but you're failing to comprehend that it's
> > a: just as easy to install XP and Linux on the same hard disk
> > and
> > b: Suse (if installed second) detects windows and auto-configures the
> > boot loader to include it.
>
> But is that true if XP has made a default NTFS partition?  I always thought
> you needed something like Partition Magic to get around that, at least for
> 8 and 8.1, or any current distro.

If the "default" ntfs partition is the whole disk, then probably yes.
But if you know you're going to be putting linux on as well, you just create
a 10gig partition, and install linux after that.

In these days of LBA32 and a working lilo, the kernel above 1024 cylinders
on a modern motherboard is no longer an issue.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk