[Gllug] Net outages caused by worm possibly

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Jan 27 11:20:38 UTC 2003

On 27 Jan 2003, Walid Shaari wrote:

> Surely there are legitimate cases where databases need to be accessed
> remotely, I am involved in an OSS project that hosts its database in a
> different location. in that project the admin had no choice but to take
> whatever is given to him.
>
> What about replication when done across different sites?

Tight firewall rules governing both incoming and outgoing packets would
permit this while still limiting your exposure.

Of course your security is only as good as that of the peers you talk to
so you have to trust that they are also properly managing their servers
and network borders.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk