[Gllug] DivX on SUSE 8.1 Personal Edition

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Sun Jan 5 11:33:59 UTC 2003

On Sunday, Jan 5, 2003, at 03:09 Europe/London, Stig Brautaset wrote:

> On Jan 05 2003, Simon wrote:
>> because the version of mplayer that ships with SUSE doesn't play back
>> DivXs (you can see where this is going, can't you?) His argument, and
>
> I may be wrong, but you may need some modified win32 dll's to play
> recent divxs with mplayer. It may be the case that SuSE don't want/can
> distribute those.

You could well be right, but they could at least ship the ones from
project mayo, or at least make it _really_ obvious how to go about
getting the win32 DLLs (perhaps having a module that displays a dialog
informing the user how to go about it?) I'd not expect this from
Debian, but that's because Debian doesn't position itself as a user
friendly linux distro, while Suse does.

For now, I'm prompting from the wings as he (patiently) works his way
through getting his system up and running. :)

Cheers,

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk