[Gllug] XF86Config-4 and ATI R128

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Thu Jan 30 11:23:59 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 09:47, Axel Segebrecht wrote:
> I've tried a lot of things - including wrestling with all the info I
> could google - yet my desktop refuses to present itself in anything else
> than 16bit/1024x756/60hz ;'(

You could post your XF86Config-4, the output of lsmod and
/var/log/XFree86.0.log.

Some suggestions which you may have already tried:
* If you want DRI support you might want the dri-trunk stuff (for
  sarge/testing) from:
    "deb http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk/ ./"
  If you've got an sid/unstable X setup, presumably that is new
  enough(?).
* I presume the limitations of your monitor section allows
  resolution/refresh rates higher than 1024x768? Some monitors will plug
  n' pray (my Iiyamas do) and seem to allow the card to get the
  settings directly.
* have you checked what resolutions/bit depth/refresh rate you are
  allowed to run with direct rendering with for your card? Some cards
  won't do it at certain combinations.

> Furthermore, q3a doesn't seem to load with full hardware support, which
> is odd as I 'appear' to have all the correct modules/etc for it to run
> nicely.

Have a look at http://dri.sourceforge.net - they've got some docs which
are very useful.

Simon

PS glxgears on a radeon 8500 QL with DRI turned on: 10462 frames in 5.0
seconds = 2092.400 FPS

Dr Simon A. Boggis                                  Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,                     Tel. 020 7882 7522
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.
---- GPG public key <http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/#publickey> ----

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk