[Gllug] Installation Information

Colin Murphy SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 28 21:00:51 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 28 January 2003 6:08 pm, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

> If the "default" ntfs partition is the whole disk, then probably yes.

> But if you know you're going to be putting linux on as well, you just
> create a 10gig partition, and install linux after that.

If only high street shops formatted the drive in their machines with such
forward thinking.

Chukwuemeka - do you have XP installed already on the machine? Is there a
spare partition onto which you can install Linux?

If the answers are yes and no, respectivly, then the options would be to:

* get hold of a product that will allow you to change the ntfs partition,
so you can make space for a new partition onto which you can install Linux

* reformat the entire disk so that you can make (at least) two partitions,
reinstall XP on one and install Linux on the other

* physically install a 2nd hard drive to the machine and install to that.

Once you have SuSE installed, I doubt that you will have any further issues
running the dual boot machine, except that you might forget that XP is
even installed ;-)

--
Colin Murphy
SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk

A man for all seasons, 'specially pepper.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk