[Gllug] Tomorrows World

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Sun Jan 5 14:55:02 UTC 2003

will wrote:
> John Hearns wrote:
>
>> I just saw on Slashdot that the BBC are dropping Tomorrow's World.
>>
>> My mum tells me that I never failed to watch it as a little boy.
>> That and Horizon I suppose are to be blamed for me wanting to
>> become a scientist/computer geek :-)
>>
>> A bit sad to see it go, but to be honest I haven't watched it in
>> years.
>

> Yes, I used to watch it aswell but hadn't watched regularly it in
> years.  I seem to remember they changed the format of the program and
> 'dumbed it down'[0] a fair amount in it's later years so I am not that
> sad to see it go.
>

> Will
>
> [0] Or maybe I just got older, I don;t know :-)

They dumbed it down

I caught a few episodes around the time it changed - it was a drmatic change

the most obvious thing was the change from using presenters who were
scientists - to using phillipa forrester and swingometer man !

Adam Hart davis was on it recentl;y I think - in an attempt to produce
some of that 'enthusiast' feel that it used to have

but it still came accross as lightwieght behind the times and badly
researched

PS - anyone remeber when they previewd CD's - they thought that they
would be so sobust you could eat your breakfast off them - wash off the
jam and bung them in the player !!!

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk