[Gllug] Sun SparcStations

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri Jan 10 12:57:52 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to 'come into' 2 or three SparcStation 4 or 5's (I
think that's what they're called...)

Now, I notice the monitor socket is significantly different from the PC
'standard' type: are they compatible, given a converting cable, or is using a
PC monitor a non-starter? Likewise for the keyboard.

Also, how does the performance relate to ix86 performances? They've got
SparcII chips (I think) with 1G scsi drives (which I figure I can change for
some larger ones I've got knocking around.)

I was thinking one could be pressed into service as a gateway (with pkt
filter/mail relay/squid...)

Cheers

Dylan

--