[Gllug] Linux and congestion charging?

Peter & Sarah Childs peterandsarah at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 15 22:12:43 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 15 January 2003 21:31, John Hearns wrote:
> An idle question I know.
>
> I saw a news item a couple of nights ago on TV,
> concerning the congestion charging. I was set in the
> control centre, with a speaker from Transport for
> London in front of some video monitors. Also a couple
> of shots of a computer room.
>

> Number plate recognition is being done on the video images.
> Anyone know if Linux is being used anywhere?
> I guess though that anyone involved may have signed something
> to say that they can't tell. That is understood.
>
> Lets PLEASE keep the politics down.
> Plenty of other places do discuss the rights and wrongs.
>

> John H

	I know they are using Excel as preregistration is being done by floppy and a
heavy macroized excel spread sheet.
	Boss was trying to fill it in. You can't cut and paste, It crashes, you have
to entre everything twice. Its a mess of course. Probably won't work in
OpenOffice.
	So to preregister your car you need either a pen and form, or a Licence for
Excel. We were speculating on using a printer and form because it was fast
heading towards being easier (even though we do have a working copy of Excel)
	If all there technology looks like this its doomed. I'm not even really
getting at windows and excel here but the spreadsheet was showing off
Microsoft at its worst.

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk