[Gllug] BETT at Olympia

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Sat Jan 4 19:31:47 UTC 2003

Jason Clifford writes:

>> FWIW, IMO there's nothing wrong with terms like spastic, deaf and dumb
>> (not sure what 'joey' means).
>
>It's a reference to a young boy who was the subject of a television
>programme in the late 70's. He suffered from Cerebral Palsy (spastic).
>The term was used as an insult for many years here in the UK.

Errrm... he wasn't exactly a "young boy". Joey Deacon was born in
1920! He was featured on "Blue Peter" in the late 1970s and early
1980s. Predictably, he became the subject of much mockery by children,
and it was commonplace to taunt those out of favour with the "in crowd"
(in my school, that usually meant me!) with bent wrists wrists, shouting
"Mnnuurhh... Joey!" in imitation of Mr. Deacon's attempts at speaking.
Aaah, the memories :-)

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk