[Gllug] RH 8.0 Sendmail Configuration

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Jan 22 15:03:56 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 02:45:01PM +0000, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear Alain,
>
> When I try telnet localhost.dcs.bbk.ac.uk smtp I get an error
> indicating unknown host, which I would expect.
>
> When I try telnet mailer.dcs.bbk.ac.uk smtp I connect OK.
>
> It appears that I need to tell sendmail/postfix the location
> of my mail hub.  But how?  I've tried most of the configuration
> files without success.

You probably need to tell sendmail that mailer.dcs.bbk.ac.uk is your 'smarthost'.
AFIR one of the standard/potted configs is for a scenario where all traffic
goes through a smarthost -- take that & hack it.

I have not used sendmail for about 5 years when, after spending a fortune on OReilley, etc, books,
I moved to exim -- it is a well worth move, you investment in learning will be rewarded many times
over.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>