[Gllug] PC2phone

Robert McKay rm at accucard.com
Tue Jan 28 11:59:46 UTC 2003

> Andy Farnsworth wrote:
>
> >Try Asterisk (http://www.asterisk.org/).  For not very much money and a low
> >end machine you can put a phone line anywhere that has a full time (or even
> >dialup) internet account.
> >
> I have been and had a good look .  It seems as if you have to be a
> telephone systems engineer just to understand, neverming install.  I
> registered and asked about PC2phone ....  just to call my mum.
> And they sent me away with a flea in my ear.
>
> >Does anyone know of a pc2phone service that works with LinuX
> >
> Seems like this does not exist  ..... yet

gnophone (http://www.gnophone.com) works alright.. a few people seem to
run gateways into the PSTN. With the aide of a few 1-800 enabled calling
cards it's possible to make voice calls to anywhere. I haven't tried it
recently though and the reason I stopped was because the gateway I was
using packed up.. they may have fixed it by now though.

Robert McKay
Unix Systems Administrator
Accucard Ltd.
tel: 02070732283