[Gllug] Net outages caused by worm possibly

Walid Shaari Walid at melinux.com
Mon Jan 27 11:19:58 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 09:08, Tethys wrote:
> Robert Wood writes:
>
> >WARNING! SQL Server worm on the loose!!!!!!!!!!!
> >you have a sql server connected to the Internet? READ!
>
> I'm still boggled that this ever happened in the first place. I mean,
> sure, anyone can have buggy programs -- it happens to us all, and to
> their credit, even Microsoft had fixed this one long ago. But who in
> their right mind would have an SQL server directly connected to the
> net anyway?

Surely there are legitimate cases where databases need to be accessed
remotely, I am involved in an OSS project that hosts its database in a
different location. in that project the admin had no choice but to take
whatever is given to him.

What about replication when done across different sites?

Could you please elaborate, or advise alternatives!

TIA

Walid

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk