[Gllug] BETT at Olympia

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Fri Jan 3 19:51:49 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 13:19, Dermot Moynihan wrote:
> I appreciate that the word handicapped is not meant in a *bad* way but,
> speaking as one who works with disabled people in a teaching capacity, the
> word is frowned upon and brings up incredibly strong feelings. The
> suggested substitute is 'disabled'. But only when it is used as an
> adjective, i.e. disabled person or disabled people and never 'the disabled'.

Interesting.  IIRC, in Australia[1], the word 'disabled' is the one that
is frowned upon.  Instead, one must say 'challenged', denoting not a
lack of ability, but rather a notion of *increased* ability required to
achieve the same results as a non-challenged individual.

Pete

[1] Well, in Queensland at least, as per my recollection of HACC
standards.
--
Pete Ryland
http://pdr.cx/