[Gllug] The Knoppix Experience

Alan Peery peery at io.com
Mon Jan 27 21:42:57 UTC 2003

Axel Segebrecht wrote:

>I can't believe how easy Knoppix is to install! I've now got two boxes
>running and there are only few, very minor glitches:
>Anyone else like to share their experiences?

Pretty good for me.  Dell C840 with the 1600x1200 screen, built-in wireless

   1. Video

      Booting with "knoppix screen=1600x1200" worked nicely--until the
      LCD screen powered down to save battery.  I tried to do the normal
      tricks like shifting screen res with CTL-ALT-+ didn't work --
      screen remained unreadable until X server exit, although mouse was
      visible.

      Booting "knoppix screen=1024x768" seemed to avoid these problems.

   2. Dell TrueMobile Wireless not detected.  I have sucessfully
      configured this card with Redhat 8.0, after changing the module
      from wvlan_cs to orinoco_cs (IIRC).

I definitely noticed the caching effect of working from a CDROM drive.
 I think the Knoppix folks could avoid many user level delays for
command line users by pre-caching things like "ls".

Alan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk