[Gllug] Knoppix on diskless workstation [Mini-ITX]

John Winters john at linuxemporium.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 15:08:17 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 15:00, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2003, John Winters wrote:
>
> > > What is the /var filesystem on each node?
> >
> > I'm not sure what the intended meaning of this question is but I'll give
> > some information and hope it's the right stuff.
> >
> > The workstation NFS mounts / and /usr.  The /etc/fstab reads:
> >
> > 10.3.3.2:/netboot/root  /    nfs defaults 0 0
> > 10.3.3.2:/netboot/usr   /usr nfs defaults 0 0
> >
> > The two are separate so that /usr can be made ro at a later date.  There
> > is no separate mount of /var.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "node".
>
> I suspect he means that each client system should have it's own /var
> filesystem. /usr could be shared in common.

Yes, that's the intention.  (Or at least as things currently stand I
intend to have a shared /usr and a unique / for each system.)

Currently though there's only 1 workstation so sharing isn't an issue.
I'm just puzzled by this locking business and am wondering whether it's
some sort of file-locking facility that NFS doesn't support.

John

--
The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

We had a woodhenge here once but it rotted.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk