[Gllug] BETT at Olympia

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Sun Jan 5 13:29:27 UTC 2003

On 5 Jan 2003, John Hearns wrote:

> We could do worse than give away Knoppix CDs at such shows, just as a
> start. The name of the French educational CD escapes me, but it is again
> Debian based.

Knoppix would be ideal in my view as a desktop taster and has the
advantage that it is fairly easy to rebuild it to offer the specific
application mix we wish.

Having a number of workstations available for visitors to a stand to play
with running a good Linux desktop is easy.

We could, and should, also have a number of server type systems running
things like school and library management software as well as the usual
intranet, database and file/print services.

To my mind the important thing would be to present a solution that is
obviously very easy to manage and meets the needs of UK education users.

We all know that there are lots of schools/colleges that are using Free
Software solutions including file & print, internal and external email,
database and other services. Many of us have helped them to implement.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk