[Gllug] USB wirless adapters

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Fri Jan 3 11:55:11 UTC 2003

On Fri 03 Jan John Hearns wrote:
> Anybody got recommendations for a USB 802.11b adapter which works
> well under Linux?
> Preferably one with a decent range, and I can maybe add homebrew
> external antennas to it - maybe to be used as part of a base station.
>
> I saw a Belkin one for 60 UKP in John Lewis, which seemed to have two
> little stub anttennas.
> Dabs are doing an Actiontec one for 40UKP.
>
> Ideas?

Everything I've read says that the USB 802.11b adapters suck seriously,
and you should really go for PCI or PCMCIA if at all possible.

I've got a NetGear PrismII based PCI wireless adapter and it works a
treat.  Only cost about £60 too.

doug.

--
Ceçi n'est pas une cuillère
key 1024D/6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF