[Gllug] Any BSD users on here?

Steve Nicholson yahoogroups at yoursolutions.com
Thu Jan 23 15:36:28 UTC 2003

are there any BSD users on the list that may be able to help me?

I'm trying to install Python Image Library on a server running FreeBSD
and I think my problems are related to the dynamic linker but I don't
know enough about it. When I do a ./configure it doesn't pick up the
libjpeg libraries which I know are in /usr/local/lib/

How should "ldconfig -v" work on BSD?  Should I get a list of available
libraries? because I'm not getting anything.

On Linux it gives me a list of the library files on the system it has
found.  At the moment on the FreeBSD server I get nothing.
su-2.05# ldconfig -v /usr/local/lib/
su-2.05#

No listing of libraries in the /usr/local/lib where I know libjpeg.so
and friends are.  According to the man page  "ldconfig -r  Lists the
current contents of the hints file on the standard out-put."  I get
nothing from this as well which suggests to me that the dynamic linker
isn't working.

Is there anything special I need to do to get this to work?  Doing
"./configure --with-jpeg=/usr/local/lib/" doesn't work either.  And to
make it even more confusing zlib is being found ok.

Version is 4.6 of FreeBSD and I'm actually running in a jail
environment.

Thanks for any pointers anyone can offer.
Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk