[Gllug] ADSL (and DHCP) woes

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 2 03:58:21 UTC 2003

chris.wareham at btopenworld.com wrote:

> Tethys <tet at accucard.com> wrote:
> >
> > You don't mention what your network configuration is under NetBSD,
> > only that it's different from Windows. In what way is it different?
> > Are you getting an IP via DHCP at all? Have you tried manually
> > configuring your NetBSD box to have the IP address that was
> > dynamically assigned to the Windows box?
> >

> I was a litle bit unclear there! I meant that the NetBSD box doesn't get the
> ISP assigned public address, but a non-assigned one (192.168.0.2) from the
> modem. The Windows box gets the ISP assigned one ... I tried disconnecting the > Windows machine, configuring the NetBSD one with the same address, gateway DNS > server, etc. and then plugging it in. To my increased frustration and confusion > it still didn't work.

Just a thought -  the DHCP server may have decided to give its only real
IP address to the first client which requested one, and thereafter give
out private addresses. Was the Windows machine the first to connect? Is
it possible to remove the NIC from the Windows machine and put it in the
BSD machine to see if it then gets the correct address? Or can you set
an explicit MAC address in NetBSD (In Linux you can if the card supports
it; in OpenBSD it seems you cannot; I cannot be bothered to boot NetBSD
to check)? If you can you could try setting NetBSD's NIC to the real MAC
address of the Windows machine which works (with the Windows machine
disconnected of course).

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk