[Gllug] bastille/firewall confusion

Branden Faulls omphe at keiko.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 26 22:37:18 UTC 2003

With the emergence of the recent worm I've had a closer look at my
security.  My debian box is running the Bastille scripts and should be
logging all connection attempts.  However, having run an nmap scan from
a security website, numerous ports are visible and open on the report. I
also fail to find mention of denied connections in /var/log/syslog and
/var/log/kernel.

I have removed most services, telnet is of course gone, however things
like exim(smtp25) and nfs I need to use locally.  I've worked myself
into a panic, stupidly, over this and could use guidance.  Am I looking
in the right logs?  Should I scrap Bastille and, painstakingly, rewrite
my ipchains?  Should I worry less?  The Debian security handbook is only
getting me so far.

Other considerations, the box in question is a dialup box masquerading
for the rest of my home network.

nervous nelly
aka
Branden Faulls
--
|Branden Faulls                         |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk