[Gllug] Remote Viewing of a program running on a local terminal

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Wed Jan 29 10:37:57 UTC 2003

> Hi ,
>
> I know this isn't a programming list , but I recon this question is more of
> a sys-admin issue than programming.
>

> now that I've got everyone confused on the topic, here is the question :
>
> If I have a program running on say Linux on terminal 1. Is there a way that
> I can see that exact screen ( terminal ) as it is on the local computer , if
> I sit halfway around the world and try and access that pc remotely. I need a
> way to be able to check the status of software running non-locally.
>
> Does this all make sense ?

Well... The obvious way is to run the program under X, and export the
DISPLAY to the machine local to you. (On the machine local to you, you'd
need to type xhost + <hostname of remote machine>

Start any X program then, and it'll appear on your machine rather than the
one running the program. (This includes Xterms, so you can still run console
apps)

If you mean hijacking the output of a running program. Only if your program
produces logs, I'd think. Don't think you can re-assign a display to a
running one unless...

You could run "screen". Then you can detach it from any terminal and
re-attach it to any other terminal. (via ssh or telnet)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk