[Gllug] Remote Viewing of a program running on a local terminal

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Tue Jan 28 16:18:11 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 03:55:22PM -0000, Calvin la Cock wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I know this isn't a programming list , but I recon this question is more of
> a sys-admin issue than programming.
>

> now that I've got everyone confused on the topic, here is the question :
>
> If I have a program running on say Linux on terminal 1. Is there a way that
> I can see that exact screen ( terminal ) as it is on the local computer , if
> I sit halfway around the world and try and access that pc remotely. I need a
> way to be able to check the status of software running non-locally.
If it is a console application you can use screen, which will allow you to
run an application and then detach it to reattach elsewhere.

If it is a graphical application then you could use vnc.

There was also mentioned about a year ago an application that allows you to
share a console so that both parties can view simultaneously.  I cannot
remember the name of this and would love someone to remind me :-)

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk