[Gllug] Checking if a file has finished being written?

Andy Young andy.young at bbc.co.uk
Mon Jan 27 14:22:17 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can tell me a way to check in a shell script if a file
has finished being written?

I want to automatically transcode from one type of video to another, but
there is a likely chance of hitting a file mid write if I just do this on a
timed basis.

I unfortunately have no control over the source application setting some
sort of flag file to show the write is complete.

Any advice much appreciated.

Andy.

Andy Young
Design Systems Administrator
BBC Post Production

*	Work:	+44 (0) 20 8225 8388
*	Mobile:	+44 (0) 776 433 5702
*	Fax: 	+44 (0) 20 8576 1639
*  	Room 3501, Stage 5, Television Centre, Wood Lane, London, W12 7RJ
*	mailto:andy.young at bbc.co.uk
 *	http://www.bbcresources.com/postproduction

BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

stated.