[Gllug] BETT at Olympia

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sat Jan 4 09:23:15 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 12:34:04PM +0000, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On 3 Jan 2003, John Hearns wrote:
>
> > Cue for me to trot out my tired old ideas for GLLUG demonstration kit.
> > Cue for flurry of emails with interest and good ideas.
> > To perish on the rock of hard facts - kit costs $$$ and transport ain't
> > easy (*)
>
> Kit isn't such a great problem. I'm sure if we wanted to we could easily
> put together half a dozen fairly good systems.
>
> Transport is more of a challenge but again it can be overcome.
>
> The real problem would seem to be twofold:
>
> 1. that one week is insufficient time to organise this properly;
> 2. I'm not sure we actually have enough that is specifically BETT
> appropriate for such a show.

3. Organising manpower - ie people to set up the stand & present ''our wares''
   to the show's punters - possibly some sort of rota.

Maybe we ought to identify the shows at which we might like to put in an
appearance over the next year. We could then plan in advance. Does anyone know
the dates of what is coming up ?

It might also be nice to have the 'demo kit' formalised [[ I take kit to include
suitable software ]], this should include some kind of 'demo patter/talk'

> By the second point I mean that to really make doing this worthwhile we'd
> have to be able to show a range of Free Software solutions for the
> education sector including school management apps and educational
> software as well as the usual intranet, programming, etc tools.
>
> While I have seen listings of educational software on Freshmeat et al it
> usually seems rather resitricted and often incomplete.

This is the real issue.

This ''matching to requirements'' is where the real investment is needed.
It strikes me that this is something where the different LUUGs around the country
can really benefit from learning from each other - & produce something that
gets better & better.

This is something that the UKUUG could usefully help coordinate. Put something in
the newsletter (ie project publicity) and a link off the web page containing
things like show dates & setups, configs, ''sales patter'' that has been found
to work for the various types of show. This is the sort of things that corporations
do quite well and *UUGs don't - we tend to organise things as a set of one offs
which means that we do the same work over & over and so look amateurish.

If a fewpeople who are interested in this project would contact me, I will take
this up with the rest of the UKUUG council. I am looking for the project lead people
who will get this started.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>