[Gllug] Installation Information

Steve Cobrin cobrin at highbury.net
Thu Jan 30 02:16:56 UTC 2003

As well as Partition Magic 8.0, I'd also recommend Acronis OS Selector
8.0 (www.acronis.com) or Acronis' new "Partition Export 2003", both are
easy to use. They are both the current best commercial products. They
both have problems with the very latest ext3 partitions (HTREE option)
and some of the more obscure journalled file systems. Partition Magic
and OS Selector have regularly been bundled with some distros (Caldera,
SuSE, ASPLinux, <others I can't recall>)

If however you want a free product, the only Open Source NTFS resizer I
know of is described at
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfsresize.html

  -- Steve

On Wednesday 29 Jan 2003 16:16, Dermot Moynihan wrote:
> The only thing that I know of for shrinking an NTFS partition so as
> to make a couple of additional partitions to take Linux is Partition
> Magic. And possibly very early versions of Magic won't do the job.
> The current version is 8.
> Also, Magic is the only thing I've found that will allow changing
> NTFS back to FAT16 or 32. XP contains, as did 2000, convert.exe which
> allows one way conversion to NTFS. But, as Walid said, there ain't
> "no way back". Without a wee bit of Magic, that is.
> Dermot

[...]

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk