[Gllug] Computer shopping

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Mon Jul 28 11:35:46 UTC 2003

RAID = Redundant Array of Independent Disks

Where does Inexpensive come in to play here?

IDE drives have now reached 10,000 RPM spindle speeds while SCSI has both
10k and 15k for it's high end drives.  I personally prefer IDE, especially
if you get a good RAID card and IDE Drive cage that supports Hot Swapping.
The 3Ware controllers support Hot Spares, Hot Swap, and RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 and
JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks).  If you buy the drive cage from 3ware then you
get true hot swap support for IDE, even though IDE doesn't support it
directly.  You have one drive per channel on the controller so get full
bandwidth per drive.  I do suggest you get a 64 bit PCI bus preferably at 66
Mhz for your server as you will severly limit your RAID performance if you
go with 32Mbit at 33 Mhz.  Remember that the more spindles per RAID volume
the faster it is, so 8 100Gb Drives would be faster than 4 200Gb drives.
Don't forget to make sure your PS will support the load of all these drives,
plus the hot spares (drives plugged in, but not used until a drive in the
RAID fails, then it will activate it and rebuild the RAID automagically
using it and you still have full redundancy).

Andy Farnsworth
Mobile   : +44 (0) 7762 085 096
@Timeless: +44 (0)  208 818 2929
E-Mail   : farnsaw at stonedoor.com