[Gllug] OT: Source control - backup

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Thu Jul 31 13:57:14 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 13:47, Kristian Davies wrote:
> Unfortunately, that's kind of what we do at the moment, but... when a file
> is checked out it goes to a directory locally, with a million other files
> and so the file-pattern-matching for backup is huge and unwieldy, and still
> gets far too much data.
>
> We have 30 programmers and the dev dirs are 15Gb and all I want is maybe 4Mb
> of data :-)  I was wondering whether the source control software itself had
> a feature for this problem.  I find it totally bizarre that you have to
> backup the workstation\local dev directory, as a solution.

If you're using CVS you could find such checked-out directories with:
  find . -type d -exec test -d '{}/CVS' \; -print -prune
- you could actually try to run CVS to test whether each one is a valid
checkout, but this would be excruciatingly slow if there were lots and
the repositories were remote.

A similar solution should be possible for other revision control systems
- presumably they also store some knowledge about what is "checked out"
on the local machine and you can access this.

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk