[Gllug] Apache - deny image access

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Jul 4 08:38:37 UTC 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, leigh wrote:

> I'm putting together an online photo gallery which uses a php script to
> pull images from a directory  (images). But I can't seem to find a way
> to restrict users from directly gaining access to the directory's
> contents thus:
> foobar.com/images/photo1.jpg.

This is fairly simple. Add something like the following to your apache
configuration (or a .htaccess file containing it in the directory):

<FilesMatch "/images/\.(gif|jpe?g|png)$">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
    Satisfy All
</FilesMatch>

This will prevent any direct access to any GIF, JPEG or PNG file in the
images directory on the site - ie calling them by URL as you describe.

You will still be able to read those files from your PHP scripts and
display them via the script though.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/		ADSL Broadband available now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk