[Gllug] european software patents

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 6 18:09:44 UTC 2003

On Friday 04 July 2003 18:07, Mark Hill wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 11:31:12AM +0200, will wrote:
> > Alex Hudson[0] of the FSF europe tells me that the vote on european
> > software patents has been posponed until September the 1st
>
> I sent an e-mail to the office of London's Green Party MEP Jean Lambert
> this afternoon, and below is the reply I received. I thought some would
> find it interesting reading.

> Directive Patent law: patentability of computer-implemented inventions
> COM(2002)0092

[snip]
> The recent decision, taken by the European Parliament's Legal Affairs
> Committee will, in Jean's view, entrench the market dominance of
> multinational companies, force small software firms out of business and
> bring to an end the European free software movement.

What a load of rubbish. The end? Garbage.

Jean Lambert obviously hates the Americans more than she has sense if this is
what she thinks. Perhaps someone will point out to her that Linus Toravlds
lives and works in the United States.

This is the sort ill-informed nonsense that does so much damage - how could it
possibly be the case that the directive, no matter how flawed, will mean the
end of the free software moevement in Europe?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk